Friday, December 30, 2011

Books Read in 2011

This year I completed one book more than last year, with 42.  I really had a good reading year: many books I loved, few that I disliked.  There are a number that I began and never finished (including two from the online book club ... [boo]) but would very much like to complete.

Here's the official list. (Bolded were books I enjoyed, strikethrough books I didn't)

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers
2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING! Best fiction for 2011)
3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen (Worst book of the year)
4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein
5. Devil's Cub - Georgette Heyer
6. Keeping a Nature Journal - Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E Roth.
7. Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization (Audio Book) - Anthony Esolen
8. Excellent Women - Barbara Pym
9. The Abyssinian - Jean-Christophe Rufin - this one is almost struck through, but I thought it well written and it made me think because I disagreed with its premises
10. In the Company of Others - Jan Karon

11. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp
12. Regency Buck - Georgette Heyer
13. Bath Tangle - Georgette Heyer
14. The Convenient Marriage - Georgette Heyer
15. The Organized Heart - Staci Eastin
16. Your Home: A Place of Grace - Susan Hunt

17. Christian Encounters: Jane Austen - Peter Leithart

18. Bambi: A Life in the Woods - Victor Salten
19. Aunt Jane's Hero - Elizabeth Prentiss
20. The Magician's Nephew (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis
21. The Horse and His Boy (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis
22. Beauty for Truth's Sake - Stratford Caldecott
23. A Mother's Rule of Life - Holly Pierlot
24. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
25. Persuasion - Jane Austen
26. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
27. Real Love for Real Life - Andi Ashworth
28. Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies - Marilyn Chandler McEntyre (tied for best non-fiction in 2011)
29. The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction - Alan Jacobs (tied for best non-fiction in 2011)
30. The Help - Kathryn Stockett
31. The Waiting Sands - Susan Howatch
32. Prince Caspian (Audio Book) - C.S. Lewis
33. Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien (review forthcoming)
34. Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen
35. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
36. The Two Towers - J.R.R. Tolkien
37. The Return of the King - J.R.R. Tolkien
38. Lady of Quality - Georgette Heyer
39. Come Thou Long Expected Jesus - edited by Nancy Guthrie
40. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
41. North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell


I'm currently reading Lit! by Tony Reinke (and not loving it, it's OK but a bit ponderous) and The Praying Life by Paul Miller (which is quite good, helpful, and approachable)

4 comments:

  1. Wow- 42!!! I only accomplished 8. :( I liked how you listed the whole year's reading in 1 post. (Might have to steal that idea!)

    I added some of your books to my amazon wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book The Pleasures of Reading keeps crossing my path. I am definitely going to have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still feel guilty about Mennonite in a Little Black Dress... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel guilty, Kristen. At least part of the reason I didn't like it is because I projected how guilty I'd feel writing about my family like that and, to me, I felt the humor was more mean than not.

    Also, I picked it up with an ulterior motive. My sister is Mennonite (Beachy) and I was looking for something a little more integrating ... how can you remain close as a family with such disparate beliefs. So, at least some of my issue was going into it looking for something that just was never intended to be there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love and reply to comments because I love building community with my readers!