Friday, June 14, 2013

Book Review: Jane and Prudence by Barbara Pym

Jane and PrudenceJane and Prudence by Barbara Pym
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Library.

This was my second Barbara Pym novel. I liked it a lot even though there was little plot ... maybe even less than Excellent Women. The characters grew and better knew themselves by the end. They advanced. For about half the book I didn't care for Jane (spacey) or Prudence (discontent). By the end I was a fan (of Jane, anyway). Beautifully written. It could take a lifetime to trace all the allusions of poetry and literature.

I understand why people don't care for Pym, but I do enjoy the calm, floating absorption when I'm reading one of her books. She tells simple tales of regular folk; there's nothing mysterious or exceptional about the things that happen to her characters, but their individual voices, their interests, abilities, and character all are brought together in a loving, purposeful way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love and reply to comments because I love building community with my readers!