Thursday, September 24, 2015

Read-Aloud Thursday: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

It's been a long time since I participated in Read-Aloud Thursday.  I'd like to do it more often, though.  So here's to a fresh start.

Our favorite read-aloud time is dinnertime with Daddy. We are all contained at one place. Whichever grownup is done eating first (generally me ... helps me not to take seconds!) picks up our current read-aloud and starts the next chapter (or section if it is a long chapter).

We all like it when Daddy reads, though. I don't really do voices and he does great ones- he does a great Hagrid.

We just finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  None of us had read it. I had started it but not enjoyed the couple of pages I began. M-girl was begging me to pre-read it, so we decided to do it as a family.

We all liked it.

The book was written so each chapter ended at an exciting point, leaving us with groans for more.  The main characters - Harry, Hermione, and Ron - had enough substance to carry the story.  There was enough mystery and yet enough knowledge that things would turn out all right in the end. R-girl got a little frightened a couple of times, but reminded herself that there a re 7 books in the series so it must be ok.

I particularly liked some of the summing up in the end, where Dumbledore shows up and gives instruction,

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure ... As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all -- the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them. (pg 297)
I feel a little silly writing about a book that everyone else has already read. We enjoyed it as a read-aloud.  I've requested book 2 from the library. I am a bit nervous about how quickly the stories may ramp up in intensity.

Don't forget (like I did) to link up with Amy for Read-Aloud Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. I remember book 3 being fairly intense and they do get more intense as they go along. I think Rowling was assuming her readers were aging along with the characters so the intensity kept pace with that. Don't feel funny about reviewing them, though -- I don't know how others feel, but for me it's fun reading what someone else writes then they discover for the first time an old favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's just that this one is soooo ubiquitous that it's kind of like writing a new review of Star Wars. It's a part of a common cultural bond (in such a disjointed culture) that you are supposed to know about it. I didn't - and fantasy has long been a favorite genre of mine, so that's doubly odd. It's a weird place to be.

      Delete
  2. I love how you're finding that reading aloud keeps you from taking seconds! My daughter is not even one yet, but I find that her self-feeding takes so long that I can find myself nibbling mindlessly for the entire time she's eating (which means *I'm* eating far too much). I've started reading to her once I'm done with "second breakfast" but while she's still working on it - it's served the same function for me.

    I love that you're writing about a book "everyone else has already read." While I've read this one, there are plenty of books that "everyone" has read that I'm introduced to through someone's blog - and even when I have read something, it's wonderful to see it again through new eyes (and sometimes be encouraged to re-read.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to ladydusk. Thanks for your encouraging comments. Enjoy your baby! That is such a fun time. I hope you and she enjoy many good books together! What's her current favorite?

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love and reply to comments because I love building community with my readers!