Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Wednesdays with Words: Brightness and Character


Last week, the quote I offered was from an audio book, this week I'm sharing one from a podcast.

Do you listen to any podcasts? This is a relatively new medium for me.  I'm not very auditory, I mean you saw my sermon notebook where I come as close as I can to transcribing sermons because the very act of writing down helps me to hear better.

But this summer I started trying to follow a few podcasts for walking the dog and vacuuming and cleaning. I've enjoyed the exercise. I recommend: Your Morning Basket, Homeschool Snapshots, Read Aloud Revival, The Mason Jar, and Quiddity (the one I linked was my *favorite* talk at the Cincinnati convention this year).

Anyway, I've been listening to these podcasts and occasionally something will strike me and I'll have to stop. This morning, before 7am, I had to stop and voice record quickly (the dog was not happy I stopped) the statement I wanted to note:


I just love that. I mean, I know it in the marrow of my bones, but I certainly don't always practice it.  I want to aim at character, but sometimes the academics come first ... because it's easier to teach the academics?  I've been thinking a lot about this theme in all of my recent reading -- Consider This, Teaching from Rest, etc. but I really think Seid summed it up succinctly and clearly for me.

Please remember that your words can be from anywhere ... something you heard, something you read, something your kid said ... as long as they have stuck in your craw or caught your mind.





10 comments:

  1. Yep- all too often I do the same & aim for something I think I can hit or something that is measurable. This was a good reminder!

    Love, love, LOVE podcasts & the ones you mention are my favs! :) Thanks for getting me hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Character isn't measurable. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Oh, and it's kinda funny/cool that your image has flower in it- my post mentions & shows flowers too. Great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often noted themes in WWW posts, we'll see if that continues :)

      Delete
  3. That's the problem with podcast and the like. You can't underline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. There's a lot of underlying that needs to be done. Even if I could bookmark on the fly ... but the dog doesn't like stopping very much LOL.

      Delete
  4. Great quote!

    I listened to a Sally Clarkson podcast (At Home with Sally) yesterday and to Nancy Leigh DeMoss on Revive Our Hearts today. Both were an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia Ann. I'll check those out!

      Delete
  5. I just cannot with the podcasts and Periscope and whatnot. I really must READ or write. Or both! ;) The only way I remember something great from a sermon is if I write it down.

    Anyway, that aside, thanks for sharing the encouragement. Sorry to miss this week but I was out of town until tonight. Hope to be back to it next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the trip was fun! I was looking for you, always enjoy your submissions, but this is a no-pressure linkup. We're busy moms and we do what we can.

      I know what you mean about listening. I have found that some talking while cleaning or walking helps me out and stay on task. Many of the podcasts are conversational, so I enjoy participating in the conversation without talking ... or by thinking about how I'd answer if anyone ever asked me to be on one. So they're enjoyable without being profound -usually. Copying out something, or pausing and recording a thought is unusual. I generally let audiobook wash over me and ride the story.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love and reply to comments because I love building community with my readers!