Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Wednesdays with Words: Not Merely


A year ago, I ran into a quote from John Ruskin in Consider This by Karen Glass.  I wrote it in my commonplace book. 


Today, when I started Awakening Wonder by Stephen Turley, I found the quote again and decided to share it with you.

I love the alternating not merely. Education is not merely for knowing and learning and acting in certain ways; it is not merely for the external, utilitarian, behavioral purposes. It isn't outside working inward. No, education is to change you from the inside out. 

The interior life ... the affections and desires and the outworking thereof are both important. 






9 comments:

  1. Ooh! I like this! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking in and commenting. I loved how clearly it was about the things of the Kingdom.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful quote! I don't think I've seen that one before. Definitely a good bit of inspiration for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes! We can all use encouragement at this time of year.

      Delete
  3. That's an amazing quote! It's ordo amoris, but with specifics. I love to collect "education is" quotes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I loved the detailed examples Ruskin gave ... and how it gives depth to the action. Love.

      Delete
  4. I LOVED that quote in Consider This! It went straight into my commonplace as well.

    Okay, now you have me wondering whether I ever blogged it--and I did! See, that's how much I loved it! LOL
    http://joyouslessons.blogspot.com/2015/03/from-my-commonplace_25.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love and reply to comments because I love building community with my readers!